Disney+ announces slew of original Korean productions to arrive in 2023

Disney+ has announced a slew of upcoming Korean originals to premiere on the streaming platform in the coming year.

The streamer made the announcement earlier today (November 30), announcing six new titles to be made available in 2023 so far. One series, titled Call It Love, is said to “[tell] the story of a mistreated daughter who seeks revenge on her mistress after the sudden death of her father”. Production for Call It Love will be helmed by director Lee Kwang-young, heralded by Disney+ has “the master of romantic dramas”.

Moving “is based on a popular webtoon by Kang Full and tells the story of three teenagers who discover they’ve inherited unusual powers from their secret agent parents”, according to Disney+. It is slated to star Miracle in Cell No. 7 star Ryu Seung-ryong, Happiness’ Han Hyo-joo and It’s Alright, This Is Love’s Zo In-sung.

Advertisement

The third title announced by Disney+ today is Worst of Evil, set in 1990s South Korea. The series is said to follow an “investigative taskforce as their undercover officer, named Park Joon-mo, infiltrates a new criminal organisation responsible for fuelling a trafficking triangle. Worst of Evil, dubbed an “exciting new crime drama” by Disney, will star If You Wish Upon Me’s Ji Chang-wook, Squid Game alum Wi Ha-joon and True Beauty’s Lim Se-mi.

Rounding off the list of upcoming Disney+ Korean productions is RACE, written by acclaimed screenwriter Kim Roo-ri. The forthcoming series will tell the story of “a mediocre employee who unleashes her potential after discovering she was hired at her top-tier publicity company for diversity reasons”.

Disney+ also announced a new docu-series centred around K-pop boy group SUPER JUNIOR, titled SUPER JUNIOR: THE LAST MAN STANDING. The series was described by Disney as a “one-of-a-kind exploration of SUPER JUNIOR and its members, offering new insights into the modern K-pop industry”.

Aside from the six aforementioned titles announced by the streamer, Disney+ also announced two upcoming BTS-centred original productions to land on the platform next year – BTS Monuments: Beyond The Star and an as-yet-untitled J-hope solo documentary. More information on all eight Korean titles, including exact release windows, have yet to be unveiled by Disney+, however are expected to be announced in the coming months.

Images & transcripts are copyright to their respected owners.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs to perform on ‘Saturday Night Live’ next month

Yeah Yeah Yeahs have been announced as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live next month.

The band will perform on the NBC programme on the December 17 episode, hosted by Elvis star Austin Butler.

It is the first time Yeah Yeah Yeahs have performed on SNL since 2009. Their forthcoming appearance will follow Brandi Carlile’s performance on December 10 and SZA‘s this Saturday (December 3).

Advertisement

The 48th season of Saturday Night Live premiered last month, with Kendrick Lamar performing a trio of songs from latest album ‘Mr. Morales & The Big Steppers’.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs CREDIT: Jason Al-Taan

WillowMegan Thee StallionJack Harlow and Steve Lacy have since performed on the show.

Meanwhile, Yeah Yeah Yeahs recently shared a new video for ‘Wolf’ starring Severance‘s Britt Lower.

Of the Allie Avital-directed video, which sees Lower star as a woman who enters the woods and descends further and further into madness, Karen O said in a statement: “It was our great fortune to collaborate with the powerhouses Allie and Brit on this video for ‘Wolf’.

“Allie casts a spell with the gorgeous world she weaves- always with teeth that bite, and Britt embodies all the contradictions in the themes of ‘Wolf,’ so enamoured with her performance that’s got as much heaven as it does hell.”

Advertisement

She added: “We were beside ourselves with excitement when Allie cast Brit as the lead in the video, YYYs are serious nerds for Severance, what luck when the stars align.”

Their recent album ‘Cool It Down’ arrived on September 30 via Secretly Canadian. The album earned four stars from NME, with the review calling it “a creative testament to how refreshing it can be for bands to look forward instead of backwards”.

Images & transcripts are copyright to their respected owners.

Ents world reacts to England’s 3-0 win over Wales at Qatar World Cup

Figures from the entertainment and music world have been sharing their reaction after England went through to the last 16 in the FIFA World Cup in Qatar after beating Wales 3-0.

Two goals from Marcus Rashford and another from Phil Foden ensured Gareth Southgate’s side went through to the knockout phase while Wales went out and finished bottom of Group B.

Following England’s victory, Stormzy was one of the first to congratulate England with particular praise for Rashford. “Big Marcus” he tweeted following the Manchester United striker’s two goals.

Advertisement

Piers Morgan also hailed the forward declaring that Rashford was “on fire in 2nd half”.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak praised both sides despite the result. “Well done England on a strong performance and for progressing to the knockout stages. Rob Page’s team have inspired millions across Wales and beyond. They can also be very proud tonight,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mythic Quest star and joint owner of Wrexham AFC with Ryan Reynolds, Rob McElhenney expressed his sadness at Wales going out.

Advertisement

“Wales is going home. But at least they get to go home to Wales. Diolch and see you soon!” he wrote.

Actor Michael Sheen also said it was a “privilege to support” Wales during the World Cup.

He added: “DIOLCH CYMRU! What a privilege to support you @Cymru. Thank you for giving us the chance to take part in a World Cup. You brought us all together and make us proud always.”

The 2022 World Cup kicked off earlier this month but has been plagued by criticisms of corruption, while Qatar’s views on homosexuality and the alleged deaths of thousands of migrant workers has also caused a backlash.

In the run-up to the tournament beginning, Dua Lipa denied rumours that she was to perform at the opening ceremony and called on Qatar to “fulfil all the human rights pledges it made when it won the right to host the World Cup,” while Rod Stewart revealed that he also turned down the opportunity to be a part of the celebrations for moral reasons.

Meanwhile Morgan Freeman was heavily criticised for helping to officially launch the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar.

Last week, Welsh football fans also claimed that their rainbow hats were “confiscated” in Qatar ahead of their World Cup match with the USA. In a statement, the Football Association of Wales (FAW) said it was “extremely disappointed” that fans were told to remove the hats, and that it planned to address the matter with FIFA.

FIFA have since said they would allow rainbow hats and flags into World Cup stadiums in a policy U-turn.

The news came after it was announced that England and Wales would no longer wear ‘OneLove’ armbands during matches, which were designed as a gesture to support LGBT+ rights, but has now seen teams threatened with sanctions by FIFA for wearing them. At their match with Japan, the German team protested by wearing rainbows on their boots and training kit and covering their mouths in a team photo.

Images & transcripts are copyright to their respected owners.

Cardi B threatened with legal action over use of Marge Simpson inspired artwork

Cardi B has been threatened with legal action by an Italian artist for allegedly recreating artwork depicting Marge Simpson wearing a bottom-revealing Thierry Mugler dress, without permission.

It comes after the rapper recreated Alexsandro Palombo’s 2013 work in the form of The Simpsons character, in an Instagram post she shared on Halloween.

Cardi B’s post showed her made up as Marge, with her back to the camera to show off the cut-out bottom, just as in Palombo’s original artwork, which was pictured in the background.

Advertisement

The original artwork was created by Palombo as part of his Marge Simpson Style Icon series, which transformed Marge into in a style icon, while reflecting on women’s emancipation and gender equality, according to Sky News.

Responding to Cardi B’s original post, Palombo said: “We wrote to Mrs Cardi B and collaborators how come that they never contacted us for authorisation to use the artwork and didn’t mention or credit the artist, violating Meta policy about intellectual property rights. Still no answer…

“Cardi B and her collaborators have used my artwork without any authorization, debasing its original meaning and only to amplify their image with a clear commercial purpose that has nothing to do with that path of social awareness that has always characterized my works.

“(Extra)ordinary people are welcome to use my artworks images for personal and non-commercial purposes. To everyone else: Stop stealing [from] artists.”

Advertisement

His lawyer, Claudio Volpi, also told Sky News: “Cardi B has illegitimately appropriated the work of Alexsandro Palombo for mere business purposes in defiance of the most elementary rules on copyright and Instagram policies, with the consequent serious risks, both of compensation and of discredit for her public image”.

The lawsuit is not yet believed to have been filed.

NME has contacted Cardi B’s publicist for comment.

Meanwhile, the rapper and Glorilla recently joined forces at the American Music Awards to perform their collaboration ‘Tomorrow 2’.

Images & transcripts are copyright to their respected owners.

‘Game Of Thrones’ fans pay tribute to Wilko Johnson: “He made a terrific Ilyn Payne”

Game Of Thrones fans have paid tribute to the late musician Wilko Johnson, who portrayed Ser Ilyn Payne in the HBO series.

The beloved singer-songwriter and guitarist for Dr Feelgood passed away on Monday (November 21), aged 75. Fans of his music and his performance in Game Of Thrones have since been honouring his memory on social media.

“Great musician who made a terrific Ilyn Payne, but by all accounts he was a much nicer man than the character he portrayed on #GameOfThrones. RIP, Wilko,” tweeted one fan.

Advertisement

“I had no idea the man who played Ser Ilyn Payne was a guitarist. RIP man”, wrote another.

A later tribute reminded fans that Payne was one of the characters Arya Stark (Maisie Williams) had pledged to kill in revenge for the execution of her father during season one: “No longer on Arya’s list. Ilyn Payne. RIP”.

See more tributes from fans below:

Advertisement

The news of Johnson’s death was confirmed via a post on his official social media accounts.

The tribute read: “This is the announcement we never wanted to make, & we do so with a very heavy heart: Wilko Johnson has died.

“He passed away at home on Monday 21st November. Thank you for respecting the family’s privacy at this very sad time. RIP Wilko Johnson.”

Johnson was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in 2013, saying via a statement from his manager at the time that he did not want to receive treatment or chemotherapy.

The following year however, Johnson underwent an operation and declared himself cancer-free, revealing later that he was told he only had 10 months to live and remarking: “I shouldn’t be here at all.”

Images & transcripts are copyright to their respected owners.